2021 PROGRAM SCHEDULE
Join us, free, for our April Program!
Monday, April 26, 2021
FREE – Live online 6:30-8pm
Density in Alexandria
Agenda Alexandria’s April 26 program will focus on the population density of Alexandria and its consequences. This program will be virtual and will start at 6:30 PM.
By population, Alexandria is the most dense jurisdiction in the Commonwealth of Virginia and among the top 15 in the United States, having added more than 20,000 residents since 2010. Our current population is roughly 160,000.
Questions to be explored include:
- How did the city come to be so dense? What role does the Master Plan play?
- What is the city’s current vision for adding to density? Is there a limit, and if so, what is it?
- What are the impacts of adding density on city and school finances; public services, traffic, infrastructure and quality of life?
- Are increases in density inevitable or are there tools the city can employ to manage development?
- How important are the sentiments of neighborhoods and residents nearby new development in making balanced decisions?
Karl Moritz, Planning Director for the City of Alexandra, will anchor the panel that will look at density from all sides.
If you missed our March 2021 Program “Old Blight, New Progress: Transformational Change in Old Town North” you can watch it here!